Sunday, August 16, 2009

Water's of Baptism

I was so moved this evening! Jon and I and the kids went to a baptism at our church tonight. It was a very special family. We haven't known them long but they have made such an impression on me. Let me tell you a little bit about the family. They are a family of 9. Yes, they have 7 children! The oldest is 19 and ready to go on his mission and the youngest is 6. I am just so impressed at this family. You always hear of people that have it rough and wonder how they get through things. The father has diabetes and is having a really hard time battling with the disease. He has lost his leg,has hardly any feeling in the other and is very very sick. It is amazing to see how this family has pulled together and you can almost see and touch the love that is between them. The mother works and they all take care of each other. Today, their daughter that is 8, was baptized. The father has baptised all of his children when they turn 8 years old. Health has been such a set back for him and this year has been a really hard one. He really wanted to baptize her tonight! Yesterday, He had a nasty fall at his home and broke his wrist, but nothing was going to stop him from baptizing his little girl!

As I made my way into the church tonight I was surrounded by this family and their relatives. They were all smiling and just so excited and joyful!! The opening hymn was "When I am Baptized" the words are just so sweet!

I Like to look for Rainbows whenever there is rain.
And ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away,
And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day.
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again!

Children's Song book (Page 103)

Then the father walked on his knees to the baptismal font with the help of his eldest son. His son helped him into the water and helped him sit in a chair. His son assisted him as his father baptised his little girl. I had tears swelling up in my eyes and could feel the overwhelming spirit in the room! This little girl will never forget her father and his great efforts to baptize his princess! She had the biggest smile on her beautiful face. It was so wonderful!

I love this Gospel of Jesus Christ! I feel my Saviors love each and every day! Moments like this show me that we have a loving Heavenly Father and his plan of salvation is in full course. I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain! It makes me want to be the best I can to live with HIM again!

I am thankful for the strength of this family and for their testimonies of the Gospel. Their example of how they live their life amid the trials and tribulations has strengthened me and my family!

I will never forget this day and how proud this little girl looked this day as her daddy baptised her. I will never forget of how proud both of the parents looked that their daughter made the decision to be baptised!

I am thankful for this day...for a very gentle whisper of the spirit telling me that HIS gospel is true and how sweet it IS!

3 comments:

The Larsen's said...

That is such a sweet story. There are times in life that seem so difficult and then you see someone that has way more adversity than you and it is very humbling.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment, Rob and Cindy. I feel the same way. Cindy, did you notice that I put my music player on the blog to not play automatically. The more I thought about it I thought you were right...Although I love this music...maybe others don't! Thanks for your post on that one. Have a great day!!:-)

The Larsen's said...

Hey, sorry if I ruined you blog music. I kinda felt bad about that posting, b/c its probably more my fault for forgetting to turn down my speakers in the first place. But, there is some music on some blogs that is so obnoxious. I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone. Glad jon's trip to Switz was successful.